- Department: Engineering
- Location: Urbana, Illinois
Are you an developer who loves to help organizations connect with audiences via the web? Are you building immersive, engaging sites that are inclusive and accessible? Do you excel at squashing bugs and delivering excellent support to customers above? If so, you would be perfect on our high-exposure web publishing projects; these include both websites and web applications.
We’re looking for skilled developers who are passionate about web publishing. Ideal candidates are experienced web developers who seek to write beautiful, high-quality code and create rewarding user experiences. They’re already engaged in the field of web publishing, never stop learning, and are ready to use their engineering skills to explore and extend our capabilities. Given the broad choice of CMS platforms available today (and tomorrow), the best candidates will be comfortable in more than one programming language and will always be willing to learn more. Our developers touch many different systems and technologies including PHP, Symfony, React, WordPress, and Drupal.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about helping customers and tackling new challenges. You should enjoy working with others, but be comfortable working independently as well. Proven excellence in code documentation and testing is a must. Experience working with customers and supporting legacy software desired.
The ideal candidate has the following attributes:
- Capable of working on the full stack of CMS solutions: data storage/retrieval, authoring interface, and front-end.
- Knows that the foundation of a wonderful website is great code that is maintainable, clean, and well-designed.
- Understands and desires to implement the best practices for accessibility: WAI-ARIA, WCAG, etc.
- Pays attention to admin UI and considers needs of content authors.
- Understands and has ability to meet page load performance budgets.
- Desires to work closely with content strategists, information architects, user experience designers, and visual designers.
- Communicates well with colleagues both inside and out of engineering.
- Appreciates automated testing, QA, integration, and deployment.
- Comfortable with or willing to learn pair programming.
- Familiar with or willing to learn the Test Driven Development approach.
- Embraces learning, and growth; quick to learn from and mentor colleagues.
- Regularly explores new technologies, techniques, and approaches to grow as a professional.
- Has experience or a desire to work in a consulting environment, working with clients and project stakeholders in a collaborative way including advocating for ideas in an empathetic way.
- Development experience in at least two industry-leading CMS platforms or a hand-rolled CMS, including building custom modules for those platforms.
- Experience creating responsive web designs and incorporating latest techniques.
- Proficient with distributed revision control systems, ideally Git.
- Willingness to support clients via email, phone, and screen-sharing and triage and solve bug reports.
- Experience consuming distributed content through the use of web APIs and other third-party information sources.
- Ready to provide influence in the discussion and selection of new designs and architectures for projects.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in professional environment.
At Pixo you will be part of a close-knit, collaborative, and diverse group of professionals who work hard to amplify our collective capacity through knowledge sharing, feedback, and a focus on providing the highest level of technology and design services.
Our clients come from a wide range of industries — including agriculture, higher education, and health care — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations. They seek us out because of our reputation for solving tough problems and providing highly customized solutions. While we’d be hard-pressed to describe a typical project, we most often create web applications, mobile applications, and websites.
At Pixo, we take our company values seriously. Here’s a taste:
- We value people over process and consider our workplace as an example of how tech companies should treat each other.
- We commit to being approachable and available to each other at all levels.
- We demand quality of ourselves and each other.
- When we see something that needs addressing, we speak up, ask questions, or recommend a change.
- We intentionally make time to recharge and disconnect and don’t expect each other to be “on” all the time.
Other things you might care about:
Competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, Medical, 401k matching, company sponsored Short Term and Long Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget and more.
If interested, please submit your resume to email@example.com and include a brief explanation of your interest.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer, and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice to haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.