If you’re an engineer that excels in leadership and management roles and is up to the challenge of helping a team of engineers grow and influencing the technical direction of a well-respected consultancy, you’d be a great fit as our next head of engineering.
At a high level, we are looking for someone who:
- Ensures Pixo is making sound technical decisions for our clients.
- Creates a challenging, supportive, professional environment for our engineering team.
- Leads Pixo forward in terms of staff development and technology choices.
She or he will be part of a dynamic, forward-thinking management team along with the head of user experience and design, the head of project management, and the quality assurance lead. He or she will report to the director of consulting but will be relied upon and work with all the company’s leaders. She or he will be expected to contribute regularly to a small number of client projects through code review, advising, and as a project team member.
Our engineering team desires a manager who will mentor individuals by meeting with them one-on-one and helping them steadily work toward long-term career goals. The team wants someone who keeps them aligned on standards and best practices — for example, adopting Docker, using TDD, experimenting with serverless architectures, and creating reusable assets. They want someone who is capable of reviewing code and pair programming. They want to know the engineering team is well represented across the company and that their leader is interested in helping the team and Pixo advance its engineering practice.
The ideal candidate has the following attributes:
- Possesses strong software engineering and programming skills and is familiar with all areas of technology their team is involved in.
- Ability to assess both team member’s week-to-week priorities and their year-to-year goals.
- Comfortable holding the team accountable, setting a high bar, and challenging team members.
- Keeps cool under pressure.
- Confident during conflict and able to construct and propose rational solutions.
- Knows when to take charge and knows when to sit back and let the team hammer it out.
- Has exceptional communication skills.
- Able to balance needs and opinions of many different people and confidently make decisions.
- Inspires and rallies team and company around important ideas and initiatives.
At Pixo you will be part of a close-knit, collaborative and diverse group of professionals who work hard to amplify our collective capacity through knowledge sharing, feedback, and a focus on providing the highest level of technology and design services.
Our clients come from a wide range of industries — including agriculture, higher education, and health care — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations. They seek us out because of our reputation for solving tough problems and providing highly customized solutions. While we’d be hard-pressed to describe a typical project, we most often create web applications, mobile applications, and websites. Pixo has always believed that true power lies in building connections and coined the phrase “connected engineering” — creating software that connects to our clients’ hardware.
Pixo was founded in 1998 and has been a force in the local tech and design communities and an advocate for human-centered workplaces ever since. We are proud to be a woman-owned company.
At Pixo, we take our company values seriously. Here’s a taste:
- We value people over process and consider our workplace as an example of how tech companies should treat each other.
- We commit to being approachable and available to each other at all levels.
- We demand quality of ourselves and each other.
- When we see something that needs addressing, we speak up, ask questions, or recommend a change.
- We intentionally make time to recharge and disconnect and don’t expect each other to be “on” all the time.
- We care for our teammates as people, encourage each other to take time off, and offer a great benefits package.
Other things we want you to know:
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, Medical, 401k matching, company sponsored Short Term and Long Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget and more.
Curious? Get in touch. Worst that can happen is that we both learn a bit more about each other. If interested, please submit your resume to email@example.com and include a brief explanation of your interest.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice to haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!