If you are ready to …
- solve complex graphic design and user experience problems,
- collaborate on multi-disciplinary teams,
- work closely with clients,
- and lead a high-performing team,
… Pixo is the place for you.
We are looking for someone with a strong portfolio as a web and app designer who is excited by the challenge of a dual role – serving as a visual designer on project teams and leading a multi-disciplinary design team.
The team includes UX designers, visual designers, and content strategists. We are looking to add someone to the team who can help carry the visual design project load as well as lead the team in producing exceptional graphic design, UX, and content strategy work.
➜ To learn more about the team, head over to: https://pixodesignmanager.com
Your Design Skills
You should be an an experienced web and mobile designer with a knack for strategic thinking. The ideal candidate is driven to stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies and is an active part of the web and app design community. Your portfolio should demonstrate a wide range of work, and we expect you to be equally at ease talking about typography, responsive web design systems, modern web design techniques and tools (SVGs, animation, CSS grid, etc.), and user goals. You should be especially skilled at discussing and presenting your designs, and leading stakeholders through an iterative approval process. Designers play an integral role at Pixo. In addition to leading the visual design of projects, you will contribute to sales, research, strategy, prototyping, and user testing. We expect you to have the confidence to push boundaries, both visually and technologically.
Your Management Skills
You should have previous management experience and a drive to lead and mentor. The team is particularly interested in a leader who:
- Understands how to work with both individuals and the entire group to challenge and strengthen the team’s knowledge and skills.
- Helps ensure team members are meeting client needs and project goals.
- Runs regular critique sessions.
- Improves the team’s presentation skills and helps them prepare for client meetings.
- Supports the team in prioritizing and balancing their projects.
- Leverages individuals’ strengths and interests to determine project staffing, focusing on fulfilling and challenging opportunities for each team member.
- Has an active professional network and can leverage those connections to broaden the experiences of team members and Pixo’s visibility.
- Identifies professional development opportunities for team members.
- Advocates for team members and our work with other Pixo teams and within the company as a whole.
The User Experience and Design manager reports directly to the Director of Consulting.
Your Personal Qualities
- Strong leader who thrives as a vocal and engaged member in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Comfortable holding the team accountable, setting a high bar, and challenging team members.
- Has an accessible, attentive, supportive management style.
- Able to balance needs and opinions of many different people and confidently make decisions.
- Poised during conflict and able to construct and propose rational solutions.
- Inspires and rallies team and company around important ideas and initiatives.
- An online portfolio of website, mobile app, web app, and/or desktop application designs, demonstrating innovative user-centered design solutions.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a digital designer, consulting experience preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years experience managing and mentoring others.
- Proven track record of flexibility and adaptability of working on and managing projects of all scopes and sizes.
Pixo offers a stimulating, exceptionally collaborative work environment with competitive benefits and endless room for growth and development. You will be part of a close-knit, diverse group of creatives helping to provide the highest level of technology and design services in the region.
Our wide-ranging client list includes Fortune 500 companies, higher education institutions, start-ups and small businesses, and national nonprofits. We work on a wide range of projects and produce low-fidelity and high-fidelity designs for mobile applications, web applications, and websites, collaborating closely with developers and our clients.
Other Things You Might Care About
Department: User Experience and Design
Location: Urbana, Illinois
This is not a remote position.
Competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, Medical, 401k matching, company sponsored Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget and more.
Curious? Get in touch. Worst that can happen is that we both learn a bit more about each other.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice to haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!